Celebrate winter with Algonquin Outfitters!
The 15th Annual Winter Fun Day will get you excited about winter! Join us for an activity-packed day with something for everyone. All events take place at Algonquin Outfitters in Oxtongue Lake, February 21, 2009. Rental/demo cross-country skis are available at no charge if participating in scheduled lessons. Please sign out equipment upstairs in the store at least 15 minutes the lesson starts. Call 1-800-469-4948 (705-635-2243) for more information.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Ongoing Events: 10:30am—4pm
• Dogsledding - with Winterdance Dogsled Tours. Meet and pay at the dog truck - follow the sound of barking! www.winterdance.com
• Snowshoe demonstration: test-drive high-tech snowshoes from Atlas, Tubbs and Faber. On the lake.
• XC ski demonstration: test-drive the latest in XC gear from Alpina, Madshus and Rottefella. Thanks to Craig Podborski of Alpina Sports Canada. On the lake.
• Winter campfire: warm up around the campfire!
• Cross Country Tips: meet Dan and Joan Mahony of Ski for Life at the ski oval for informal lessons. See specific lessons at 11, 1 and 2:30 pm. Please sign out rental equipment inside (no charge if you are taking a lesson) at least 15 minutes before the lesson.
• Igloo Building: take snowfort-building to the next level with Andrea and Paul Waldron. Look for the growing pile of snow near the lake (conditions permitting).
• Winter Disc Golf: if you can toss a Frisbee®, you can play Disc Golf - try it out!
• Snow volleyball: warm up for the big game in the afternoon. On the lake. Thanks to Yuill MacGregor and NorthOnSixty.
• Don’t forget to sign up for door prizes inside! Door prize draws at 12:15, 4:00 - you must be present to win!
BBQ lunch: 12-2 - Opens at noon. Buy food tickets inside please! Thanks to Chef Jeremy!
Scheduled activities and lessons:
• 11–12, Cross-country ski lesson - novice classic: instructors: Dan & Joan Mahony of Ski for Life . The lessons focus upon the development of fundamental skiing skills while teaching not only the importance of physical fitness but also demonstrating cross country skiing as an active winter lifestyle. The friendly and competition-free approach used by SKI FOR LIFE provides a comfortable learning environment that is appealing to beginner, novice, and intermediate skiers of all ages. No experience is necessary. Get skis inside ahead of time, meet at ski oval.
• 12:15, Door prize draw: At the front counter - you must be there to win!
• 1:00 - 2:00, Cross-country ski lesson - intro to skate-skiing: Even touring skiers can benefit from this modern ski technique. Limited equipment available. Instuctors: Dan & Joan Mahony of Ski for Life . Basic x-c ski skills would be helpful!
• 2:30 - 3:30, Snow Volleyball Tournament: look out Winter Olympics! Test your volleyball skills with a real game on the lake. Who needs a beach when you’ve got a frozen lake?
• 2:30 - 3:30, Cross-country ski tour: Dan & Joan Mahony of Ski for Life . Meet on the oval. A roving lesson on the Blue Spruce trails.
• 3:45, Fun snowshoe race: Just one lap around the oval! Prizes for adults and kids! Meet at the snowshoe demo area.
• 4:00, Door prize draw, snowshoe race prizes : at the front counter - you must be there to win!
Special Sunday events: Sunday, Feb. 22
9:30am - 12pm,
• 15th Annual Snowshoe trek to Ragged Falls: trek leader, Gordon Baker. An adventurous annual tradition! Free snowshoes for use by participants, or bring your own. Meet at the AO store front counter by 9:30. Car pooling required. Dogs that play well with others are welcome if well-behaved and on a leash.
12:30pm - 2pm,
• 1st Annual Guided Ski Tour: tour leaders, Dan and Joan Mahony of Ski for Life . Join our intrepid instructors for a guided tour of the lovely trails of the Blue Spruce Resort. Tips, tricks and techniques will be covered on the the trail. Free x-c ski package for use by participants, or bring your own. Meet at the AO store front counter by 12:15. Sorry, no dogs allowed on the ski trails.