Celebrate winter with Algonquin Outfitters!
The 12th Annual Winter Assembly will get you excited about winter! Join us for an activity-packed day with something for everyone. All events take place at Algonquin Outfitters in Oxtongue Lake, February 18, 2006. Rental and demo equipment is available at no charge if participating in the events and lessons. Please sign out equipment upstairs in the store before the lesson starts. Call 1-800-469-4948 (705-635-2243) for more information.
Saturday, February 18, 2006
Ongoing Events: 10am—4pm
• Dogsledding - with Winterdance Dogsled Tours. Meet and pay at the dog truck - follow the sound of barking! www.winterdance.com
• Equipment demonstrations: check out a tent, try a kick sled or test-drive high-tech snowshoes & cross-country skis - thanks to Tubbs Snowshoes, Atlas Snowshoes, Madshus Skis, Rossignol Skis, The Ice Box
• Winter campfire: warm up around the campfire!
• Cross Country Tips: meet Glenn Buckmaster at the ski oval for informal lessons. See specific lessons at 11, 1 and 2:15 pm. Please sign out rental equipment inside (no charge if you are taking a lesson). Please get ski equipment before the lesson starts.
• Ice climbing: join Summit College staff & students and learn about this popular winter sport. Ongoing activity - follow the signs on the lake and trail to the climbing site.
• Igloo Building: take snowfort-building to the next level. By the lake (conditions permitting).
• Winter Campsite:Summit College staff and students will be setting up a winter campsite - drop by and chat about winter camping!. By the lake (conditions permitting).
• Don’t forget to sign up for door prizes inside! Door prize draws at 10:45, 12:15, 4:30 - you must be present to win!
• 10:45, Door prize draw: at the front counter - you must be there to win!
• 10 am til finished, Quinzee building: join Summit College students and build a traditional snow house.By paddle hut.
• 11–12, Cross-country ski lesson - novice classic: instructor: Glenn Buckmaster. Get skis inside ahead of time, meet at ski oval.
BBQ lunch: 12-2 - Opens at noon. Buy food tickets inside please! Thanks to Chef Chuck!
• 12:15, Door prize draw: At the front counter - you must be there to win!
• 1- 2, Winter Camping Made Easier: with expert campers Dave and Kathleen Cranmer. Meet upstairs in the store.
• 1-2, Cross-country ski lesson - novice skating: instructor: Glenn Buckmaster. On the oval. Limited quantities of skate skis available
• 2-3, Snowshoe 101: Meet Brad at demo area on the lake. Learn about and try new-fangled snowshoes! Short hike included.
• 3:45, Fun snowshoe race: Just one lap around the oval! Prizes for adults and kids! Meet at the snowshoe demo area.
• 4:30, Door prize draw, snowshoe race prizes : at the front counter - you must be there to win!
Special Sunday event: 9:30am - 12pm, Sunday, Feb. 19
• 12th Annual Snowshoe trek to Ragged Falls: trek leader, Gordon Baker. An adventerous annual tradition! Free snowshoes for use by participants, or bring your own. Meet at the AO store front counter by 9:30. Car pooling required. Dogs that play well with others are welcome if well-behaved and on a leash.